#MicroblogMonday: New Training Season.

A note: I made it to the end of my first NaNoBloMo! I did it – blogged daily for a month. It was about as hard as I expected, especially at the end. But such good practice. And I intend on being a regular presence in this space moving forward.

Jeff got me a fancy new garmin watch for my birthday this month. It’s a multisport watch geared towards triathletes. So basically, it works in the pool or a lake, on a run (inside and outside), on my bike (also inside and outside), and has an actual triathlon function I can use for races.

It also has a heart rate monitor.

I’ve been interested in heart rate training for a while now. With every marathon I’ve done, I’ve hit a physical wall and had to incorporate walk breaks from about mile 15 on, and the research I did afterwards suggested to me that my aerobic threshold wasn’t nearly high enough.

The basic gist of low heart rate training work is that the more you get used to running at a super easy heart rate zone, your body becomes more efficient at it, and you can start to run a faster pace while your heart rate stays low.

So I started this kind of training about two weeks ago.

It’s kinda humbling.

I have to run pretty darn slow to stay within the designated aerobic heart rate zone. Right now I’m averaging about an 11:00 minute per mile pace, and I’m walking most hills.

But I’ve heard such good things about this training and how it’s helped people get faster and better and remain uninjured, so I’m committing to it. And, um, I have a marathon and two half Ironman races scheduled for 2016.

My plan, then, is to continue it. And I think I’m going update this blog at the end of each month with how it’s going – if anything, to hold me accountable to stick with it, and allow me to take a step back every 4 weeks and assess my progress.

End of November progress: it’s hard. 🙂

This entry was posted in #ThingsIHaveLearned, Challenges, Heart Rate Training, Races, Training Plans, Triathlon. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to #MicroblogMonday: New Training Season.

1. sharah says:

One of the women in my running group does heart rate training and she has had really good improvement in her PR and overall speeds. Good luck going forward with it!

This is really interesting. I’ve been running lately with a friend who’s a lot slower than I am (I’m reeeaaally slow, so this is not common). i’ve been surprised at how it’s helping me to get back in shape faster than I would’ve thought. So maybe it’s related.

3. I had never heard that about your heart rate. I also ran my first marathon at a 13:09 mile pace. It wasn’t the running and reaching threshold that killed me. It was the heat! I have been dying to get a garmin 220. ? Maybe one day soon.

Wow! I had no idea you had not been using a heart rate monitor to this point! I always, always ran with one (you know, back when I actually ran). I was following the Running Room’s training regime where you have to keep your heart rate in a particular zone depending on the type of run you’re doing. And then I didn’t worry about the time and how it compared to my ‘goal’ time. I just concentrated on staying in the zone and gradually got faster.

I hope it works for you too!

I did low heart rate training for quite a long time- I did get considerably faster on training runs over time, yet for some reason, I still crashed and burned in races. Perhaps I needed to stick it out- I think it takes quite a while to see results. It is very humbling, but in a way, it’s nice to slow down, and just enjoy your running. Good luck!

I’m curious to hear how you progress with that because it would answer how some people can run continuously for so long. I always end up having to walk.

7. Middle Girl says:

I hope the training nets the results you seek.

8. Ana says:

This is fascinating—I can’t believe I’ve never heard of it (but then again, I’m not a serious runner and never had any kind of HR monitor). I am ridiculously slow (the best I can ever manage, with insane training, is a 9-minute mile, and its been YEARS since I was that fast, so maybe this method makes sense for me to try.