#Microblog Monday: The Most Wonderful Time…

There’s a local station which, starting Thanksgiving weekend, plays nothing but Christmas music. My current earworm is Johnny Mathis singing “The Most Wonderful Time of The Year.”

But seriously, this year the lead-up to Christmas has been pretty awesome. O is totally into it; he picked out additional lights for the outside of our house, has insisted that we bake cookies for Santa Claus on  Thursday, and has picked out gifts for his friends and Jeff and I at the Dollar Store. We listen to Christmas songs in the car, and we’ve been watching Disney’s “Prep and Landing” on repeat since Thanksgiving.

A week or so ago, though, he said to my next door neighbor, We don’t have an Elf for our house.

And then, this weekend, he asked if we could ask Santa to send us one.

Dammit.

I dislike the whole concept of the Elf for so many reasons. There’s the Big Brother aspect of it – the whole threat that he will go back to Santa and tell on him. There’s the whole social-media-Pinterest thing – making the Elf do ridiculous things and setting up crazy situations, etc etc.

It’s one thing to have an Elf and truly enjoy playing with him and setting it up and moving him and having FUN with it. I just didn’t see that happening with me; I saw him as another responsibility. And I didn’t want to get one.

But then O asked if we could ask Santa for one, because he wants one. And he said, Mom, the Elf can take my list to Santa Claus for me! We don’t need to email him!

And it struck me that same night: How many years will we have where he believes? He’s our only child, and he’s seven. Maybe we have three more years where Christmas is full of magic, where Santa comes to our house and eats cookies and drinks milk and leaves O presents.

S0. Owen doesn’t know it, but our house is getting an Elf. He’s going to arrive tomorrow night with a note from Santa.

Like all things, we’ll make our own traditions with our Elf. He will not be naughty or do silly things. He will move here and there… maybe. He’ll bring messages to Santa if need be.

But this is the most wonderful time… and it’s fleeting.

For a couple more years, we can have an Elf in our house.

This entry was posted in #MicroblogMonday. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to #Microblog Monday: The Most Wonderful Time…

Wow- I think you are doing so well to still have O. believing at seven! I feel like kids wise up much earlier these days than they used to.

Good for you. I don’t think I could bring myself to do it, even if E. was asking for it from Santa. I just hate those Elves so much.

2. Heather says:

There’s no elf for my kids either. Much to K’s dismay. At 8 almost 9 she still believes although, she has her doubts sometimes. I like your approach to the elf, that it will be low key and chill.

3. sharah says:

We have a very mature and retained elf who is not at all naughty and sometimes stays in the same place 2 days in a row if he needs extra observation time (especially if Baby was naughty in that room). The big kids love to find where the elf has hidden each morning and he takes their letters to Santa. Also, they tattle to elf when their sibling has been bad, which is adorable.

No elf in our house either, for all the same reasons that you have. Though my daughter has started asking for one, and I have been starting to wonder if maybe we should get her one in spite of my objections. Though my elf would absolutely have to do naughty things- I can totally envision my daughter laughing hysterically at him getting in to my makeup, or making a big mess in the kitchen. 🙂

5. I was definitely against having Elf in the Shelf in our house but my husband told his mom to get it for our daughter for her birthday. Right now my daughter is only two so she doesn’t get the concept and just likes finding him when we get home from work/daycare after my husband moves her. I don’t see our Elf making messes, mostly because I don’t want to clean them up, but also because if the Elf is supposed to be tattling on the kids to Santa, shouldn’t he/she be on good behavior as well?

Good for you — both for not giving into a tradition and taking it to its Pinterested end point, but also for embracing a new idea because the impulse is coming from O. I hope he has a lot of fun with it. And that it’s very little work for you.

7. deathstar says:

I play Elf in my house. And my kid knows I have eyes in the back of my head!

8. Karen says:

I was opposed to it too, but my kids have had such a great time with it! Ours is a helpful elf, not at all naughty. He sometimes brings the kids breakfast and has even been known to pack their lunches. He doesn’t have a clue what Pinterest is lol.